At Health New England, we make it easy to enroll in one of our Medicare Advantage plans. There are certain time frames when you are able to enroll, change plans or dis-enroll. Review the enrollment period dates below and choose one the following options to get your enrollment started:
in a Medicare Advantage plan online is easy. Follow the prompts to enter your information and start the enrollment process now.
2. By Phone – Enrolling by phone is easy. Give us a call to get started.
Local: (413) 787-0010
Toll Free: (877) 443-3314
Hours: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. / Mon - Fri (Oct. 1 - Mar. 31: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. / 7 days a week)
3. In Person – One of the advantages of being a local company is that we are willing to meet with you in person to help you with your enrollment. Schedule an appointment or visit us during our walk-in hours (Mon – Fri, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.). We would be happy to help!
Due to COVID-19, we are not accepting walk-ins or in-person appointments.
Health New England
One Monarch Place, Suite 1500
Springfield, MA 01144-1500
4. By Mail – if you prefer to enroll by mail, print and complete the enrollment form and mail it back to us at the address on the form.
If you would like a printed copy of the enrollment form or instructions or to request an alternative format, please call Member Services.
Annual Enrollment Period (October 15 – December 7)
The government has set a designated timeframe each year, known as Annual Enrollment Period (AEP), when individuals enrolled in a Medicare plan may change health plans or make changes to their plan types. During AEP, you may choose to keep your current coverage, or do one of the following:
- Change from Original Medicare (Part A & Part B) to a Medicare Advantage plan
- Change from a Medicare Advantage plan to Original Medicare (and add a Medicare Supplement plan)
- Change from a Medicare Supplement plan to a Medicare Advantage plan
- Change or purchase Medicare Prescription Drug (Part D) coverage
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another Medicare Advantage plan
- Switch plans within your current Medicare Advantage plan (buy up/buy down)
Special Enrollment Periods (Timing varies based on circumstances)
In most cases, you must stay enrolled for the calendar year during which your coverage begins. However, in certain situations, you may be able to join, switch, or drop a Medicare Advantage Plan at other times. These are called Special Enrollment Periods. Some of these situations are:
- If you move out of your plan’s service area
- If you have both Medicare and Medicaid
- If you qualify for Prescription Advantage or Extra Help to pay for your prescription drug costs
- If you live in an institution (like a nursing home)
- If you lose employer group coverage
Initial Coverage Enrollment Period (Applies when you are turning 65)
The Initial Coverage Enrollment Period (ICEP) is the seven-month period during which people who are newly eligible for Medicare can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan. The ICEP begins three months before you turn 65 and ends three months after you turn 65. It also applies for individuals who may not be 65, but reach their 25th month of disability. During this time when you are newly eligible for Medicare, you can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan. Your coverage begins:
| 1-3 months before the month you turn 65
| The first day of the month you turn 65
Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period (January 1 – March 31)
During this period, you can complete a one-time change to your existing Medicare Advantage plan. You can switch to another Medicare Advantage plan, this includes adding or dropping drug coverage, or disenroll from your current plan and switch to Original Medicare. If you choose to switch to Original Medicare, you may also choose a separate Medicare prescription drug plan at the same time. Your coverage will end on the first day of the month after we get your request to switch plans or disenroll. If you choose to enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan, your coverage by the drug plan will begin at the same time.