Last Updated 5/15/2023
Effective May 12, 2023 - Changes to Over-the-Counter COVID-19 Test Kit Coverage: Health New England covered the costs of FDA-authorized, rapid, at-home COVID-19 tests until the end of the public health emergency (PHE) on May 11, 2023. Effective May 12, 2023, Health New England is no longer covering their cost. Any reimbursement requests for test kits purchased before May 12, 2023 must be submitted by November 11, 2023.
Starting January 15, 2022, Health New England began covering the costs of FDA-authorized, rapid, at-home COVID tests for commercial, Medicaid and Medicare Advantage members for the duration of the public health emergency.
- We will cover up to eight (8) over-the-counter at-home individual tests per month (every
30 days starting from first purchase). The tests are without any cost-share and without any need for prior clinical assessment.
- As a reminder, members are covered with no limits for FDA-authorized COVID diagnostic tests, including at-home tests, if ordered or administered by a health care provider following an individualized clinical assessment.
- In the interim, we ask members to save copies of receipts for any FDA-approved, at-home COVID-19 tests purchased on or after January 15. Members can submit for reimbursement by printing and mailing the form located here.
FDA- Approved At-Home COVID-19 Tests:
- BINAXNOW COVID-19 AG CARD HOME TEST
- ELLUME COVID-19 HOME TEST
- FLOWFLEX COVID-19 ANTIGEN HOME TEST
- INTELISWAB COVID-19 RAPID TEST
- ON/GO COVID-19 ANTIGEN SELF-TEST
- QUICKVUE AT-HOME COVID-19 TEST
- IHEALTH COVID TEST KIT
Options to Get a COVID-19 Test
1. Place Your Order for At-Home COVID-19 Tests
If you need additional support placing an order, you can call 1-800-232-0233 (TTY 1-888-720-7489), 8 a.m. to midnight, 7 days a week, to get help in English, Spanish and more than 150 other languages.
2. Health New England’s Preferred Pharmacy Network
You can get FDA-authorized COVID-19 test kits at:
- Kinney Drugs
- Rite Aid (including Bartell Drugs)
- Sam’s Club
There will be no upfront cost and no requirement to submit for reimbursement.
- Locate a test and bring it to the pharmacy counter
- Ask to have your OTC at-home COVID-19 test kits submitted to your plan for coverage
- Present your member ID card
3. At-Home Tests at Retailers and Pharmacies
At-home tests are available for sale around the U.S. Check with local retailers and pharmacies to see where at-home tests are available. There are quantity limits mentioned above. Health New England members can be reimbursed for the cost of tests from other vendors up to $12 per test. Keep your receipts and use the reimbursement form.
4. 20,000+ Free Testing Sites